Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

HexBright is the open source light, fully programmable and powerful with 500 lumens of brightness.

40 Questions View all

Hexbright Flex C14 Capacitor?

Hello, unfortunately last week my Hexbright stopped working. I thought it was the battery, but I still get the red LED flashing when pushing the button. Upon further examination, I see the C14 capacitor popped or broke somehow. According to the v0.5 schematic I found here, it's part of the voltage regulator and is a 1uF capacitor.

Does anyone know the part number to order? Or what the voltage requirements are? I don't know very much about electrical engineering unfortunately, but I do feel somewhat confident I could solder the correct part back on. There were thousands of 1uF capacitors on DigiKey, but I haven't a clue which one to get.

I took a picture just incase my description was inadequate:

Block Image

Thanks for any assistance!

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Hi Josh,

Effectively, C14 is the output capacitor of the MIC5353 voltage regulator and, according to the MIC5353 datasheet, it is recommended to use a capacitor of at least 1 µF with low ESR, preferably with X7R dielectric.

As the output voltage is only 3.3 V, a capacitor with 16 V rating (which is probably the cheapest you can find these days) is a good option. Finally, since the body size of the capacitor used in the Hexbright is 2012 (metric), I would use the following part number from Murata (a reputable manufacturer):

Murata P/N: GRM21BR71C105KA01L

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e...

Unfortunately, these components are so cheap these days that even if you buy a hundred of them, you still have to pay more for shipping than for the merchandise :)

Best regards,

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

Thank you so much! I went ahead and placed an order for a few. I'll update this thread with my results. Happy New Years!

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Josh will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 1

All Time: 26