Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

Dropped light now won't come on

This flashlight was the best thing to come into my life, until I dropped it off of my milk wagon. It hit soft, pasture ground from about 2-2 1/2 feet up. It would not turn on using the button after that. It does not light up red when I go to charge it, but it does light up red when I press the on button. It also will randomly come on and I have no way of turning it off. It has to run dead.

I gave 3 of these away as Christmas gifts. I hope those people have better luck than this.

Is there a fix, or can I send it somewhere? My husband is an electrical engineer and I have no doubt he could fix it, but I hate for him to go blindly digging around in my flashlight. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you,

Keri

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

1 Answer

Hi Keri,

I edited your question to remove what appeared to have been a phone number, I hope you don't mind :)

There are a few pre-existing support threads on lights that exhibit the behavior you describe, which would be a good ready for either you or your husband:

Dropped my light, now it won't turn on. Is it dead?

Can I get my light fixed or replaced?

The tl;dr is that it's most likely that the crystal is busted - either its connections to the board, or itself literally broken. If this is the case in your light, then the most straight-forward fix is to replace it. That second thread has a post by somebody who replaced the crystal with one of the same value (16MHz) but in a completely different package, and got their light working again.

Accessing the crystal should be pretty easy on V1 - just unscrew the core from the body. On the V2 you'll have to unscrew the board from the core as the crystal is covered up by extra metal. The board can be removed from the core by gently lifting at the LED end, tilting the board, then sliding it away from the button end. On the V3 you'll have to additionally deal with some potting that's put onto the crystal to help prevent it from breaking in the first place :)

Good luck, and if you end up needing to have it serviced, let us know or contact Christian directly: christian@hexbright.com

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

KeriCarter will be eternally grateful.