Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

Is there a 3D Model file for the body of the Hexbright?

I'd like to print a few holders and clip options for my hexbright. Is there a 3D file available for the body of the light?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

Christian has not kept his promise to make the flashlight "completely open source." You've been ripped off.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0

Comments:

I'm actually very pleased with both the hexbrights I've purchased. I have most certainly not been ripped off and I have been happy with the correspondence I've received from Christian thus far.

Your comment is very rude and uncalled for.

by

When someone doesn't keep their promises, they're a liar. When someone lies to get your money, they're a cheat. Christian is both.

by

Wow, sorry you had a bad experience, but to resort to name calling and slander- you can do better.

I am extremely curious though- is this just an ethical objection to a slightly impure use of the term "open-source" or are you actually limited in doing what you want to do with the light because it is not "open-source" enough?

I've had a lot of fun messing with the Arduino code and I haven't had any problems programming it. Documentation was sparse but there's enough sample code around to figure most things out on your own.

by

Add a comment
Most Helpful Answer

3D models of a blank and an alternative machined (main) body are available in /c/Bodies. Note that this may not be sufficient for your needs (a specific holder), though many generic ones will fit the HexBright as well. It wouldn't be too difficult to make your own in a CAD application, given the fairly basic shape.

As far as MikeS's concerns go: they are mostly correct, but please note that in terms of the body shape (the outer shell), the last statements on that were "The HexBright body is unique and our IP. I do not plan to release drawings at this point, but perhaps once it is out in the world I will share share info." and "We are thinking about releasing the drawing for the body ("open source") so folks like you can design whatever accessories you want for it."

So I wouldn't really expect the outer body shell to be released, though I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

CAUTION: Richard used an 8 MHZ crystal; the original is a 16 MHZ part. Just copy the Part Number off of the original part and into the Digikey search field. Richard showed the flashlight worked at 8 Mhz but it might crew up those writing or modifying the code. I don't have a SMTrework station so I used a diagonal cutter to cut & break the defective crystal off of the PCB. I then used a soldering iron to clean up each pad. I purchased a 2-wire, 16 Mhz crystal through-hole part off eBay (10/ $0.99). Although bigger, the leads can be formed & soldered to the active corner pads. See Digikey data sheet to connect to the right pads. I am hoping (but don't know for sure) that the new/larger part will be more shock resistant and durable than the SMT alternative. IMPORTANT NOTE: Since I have a late version of the Hexibright, I had to mill out the opening for the circuit board right above the crystal oscillator area to make room for the bigger crystal. This case rework could also be done with FILE.

by

Hi Ed,

Not sure if you've got the wrong discussion thread, as this thread is about 3D models for the body, not anything to do with electronics. I'm also confused where I - or any other Richard - may have mentioned 8MHz; I've had "CTX847CT 16MHz crystal" as part of my hexbright documentation for a very long time (later HexBrights did use a different crystal model but should be the same value).

If you could point the right way, I could fix it - presuming it was something I said :)

- Richard (but not necessarily the same Richard)

by

Add a comment

There's one right here on Thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:167204

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Thomas Eldredge will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 2

Past 30 Days: 3

All Time: 444