Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

Made a modification to the HexBright design files? Designed a new grip, or modified the PCB? Please do share!

2 Questions View all

Emergency phone charger mod?

Could Hexbright serve as an emergency phone charger in a future version / user mod? I envision a jumper to disable the LED and a short cable that could fit inside on top of the circuit board. Another possibility would be a connector under the button boot.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

Thanks for the replies! It's looking like a second device like a MintyBoost with another 18650 would make more sense and the batteries could be swapped in a pinch.

by

Add a comment

5 Answers

Chosen Solution

This isn't possible with the current board. You could, however, build a separate device that would take its power from a battery and provide USB power.

How about something like this instead?: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11496

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment
Most Helpful Answer

While I agree it's impractical, it's not so much because of the 5V requirement. There's plenty of 5V boost regulators that require only a few external components (the inductor would be the biggest impact if there's no physical space for it in the body) and a future, or third party, revision of board could add that.

Getting that power out to your phone is the biggest problem. As it is, there's only the 1 microUSB port - getting that to serve a dual purpose would require various design changes and, depending on how tolerant other devices are, diligence on the side of the user (e.g. if you plug the Flex into your computer, how happy is it going to be when it's suddenly seeing something trying to force a 5V potential across?) So usage-wise, you'd want a second port, and then the most common is the USB A receptacle, but how/where are you going to fit that in? etc. etc.

The boosting is the easy part :)

Since David already mentioned a portable charger, I'll throw a suggestion in as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390516382151 . It's cheap, fairly compact, accepts 3 18650 batteries (same as the Flex, and plays with well 19670s whereas in others they might not fit), will charge 1/2/3, will charge other devices off of 1/2/3 and while there are some minor design issues, you could do worse. It is an extra device to carry, but may be a decent alternative.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

Interesting device; thanks for the suggestion.

by

Add a comment

Most current phones use 5 V for charging, provided by a micro USB connector. The Hexbright battery is only ~3.6V, so the voltage would have to be stepped up to charge a phone. Basically, it's impractical.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

It's impractical exactly because there is no 5 V souce on the Hexbright, and it makes no sense to add a boost converter to get one, it would add nothing to the flashlight functionality. If it were practical, the USB jack is a non-issue. USB support an "On-the-go" functionality which can detect which side is the host, and allow power to flow in the correct direction. Again, this is something which makes no sense to add to a flashlight, unless one envisions connecting a mouse and keyboard and doing on-device programming.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Alright so I'm going to toss in my .02 on this as well. As I was looking for something similar.

I was hoping to buy/create such a device so that I could use my flashlight in conjunction with a solar panel instead of having to carry another 1lb or so for a separate battery when back-packing.

So yeah, when you're doing something where every pound, and every inch of space counts minimizing the number of devices you have to carry does matter.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Mark Spieglan will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 1

Past 30 Days: 1

All Time: 1,232