Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

HexBright is the open source light, fully programmable and powerful with 500 lumens of brightness.

40 Questions View all

Tail cap came unscrewed while assembled

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1836225/2012-12...

Well, ain't that a &!&!$!! Maybe it is because I have one of the poor fitting gaskets, but the tail cap came unscrewed while I was trying to disassemble the flashlight.

I was able to get it undone by degreasing the tailcap threads and applying some threadlock (actually just superglue...I couldn't find my blue threadlock).

But it seems like this is an area for design improvement. Maybe using a reverse thread on the tail cap base or provide some holes on the inside of the tailcap so you could use a pin spanner?

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 3

Comments:

Also, applying a little grease to the gasket really makes disassembling the flashlight much nicer and probably makes it less likely to come apart again.

by

Add a comment

5 Answers

Most Helpful Answer

Jeff,

My my tail cap came off today also. But degreasing the treads and applying a small amount of superglue didn't work for me. Maybe I used too small of a drop of superglue. I agree, even making these treads go the other way (counter clockwise to tighten might have solved this problem). But this is the first model and you would expect that. Over-all it's now my go to flashlight, and will continue to be if I can get the tail cap to stay in place so I can charge it and change out the software! Right now I'm dead in the water.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

I don't understand why the tailcap wasn't threaded the opposite way to begin with. Anytime you have two pieces threaded the same way like this users are going to have a problem.

by

Add a comment

I had this happen to me as well, and i wrapped a piece of rubber I had laying around with a wrench and was able to remove the assembly. Afterwards i added some Nyogel (which every flashlight enthusiast should have) to the oring and its been fine.

I would NOT use superglue... if you ever need to remove the tailcap you are going to have a hard time.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

I have also had the rubber tail part slip off the switch, and before I knew it was possible to remove the tail cap, I just took out the circuit board and red + plastic part to reposition it.

So there doesn't seem to be much need to unscrew the tail cap, and even so, the threadlock won't make it impossible.

by

Add a comment

I saw this idea someplace...

Try wrapping a rubber band around the tail cap threads so you can get a better grip on it.

Worse case is Walmart sells a strap wrench that should work:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performance-2-...

When this happened to me, I removed the lens and used a pair of needle nose pliers to twist from the LED heat sink. In hindsight, that's not such a good idea... good way to waste the LED!!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

I had this problem with both of my lights as well. The key here is blue loctite thread adhesive. The blue kind is non-permanent so you could take it off later if you need to. Just thread glue the tail-ring cap, wait for it to dry for 24 hours, and unscrew the whole assembly as usual. Threads are hard to glue because they are essentially airtight... so real thread adhesive is a must.

Thread locking fluid article on Wikipedia

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

I just had this same problem.

I was able to wrap a single layer of electrical tape around the exposed threads, thread on the tailcap, let it sit for about 10 minutes, and then slowly thread the entire assembly out.

This will leave a lot of gunk in the threads, so be sure to clean them out.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Jeff Thieleke will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 939